Abnormal foot function forces the muscles of the leg to work too hard and injuries may occur as a result.
Orthotics are specially moulded foot supports/insoles that are placed inside the shoe. Apart from supporting the foot, they actually realign the foot to their “neutral” or correct position, allowing the foot to function as it should.
Orthotics can often correct long-term, on-going, repetitive injuries such as "shin splits", achilles tendonitis, anterior knee pain, hip and lower back problems.
Our Chartered Physiotherapists will carry out a full physical examination to determine the correct course of treatment.
If needed we may refer you to our specialist colleague, Siobhan Treacy, who attends our clinic on a monthly basis. Treatment alone can correct a significant amount of Biomechanical problems.
- A detailed biomechanical evaluation of your body - A detailed biomechanical evaluation of your feet.
- Analysis of how your feet affect the movement and posture of your body.
- Provision of a home exercise stretching and/- strengthening programme.
- Provision of an orthotic device (insole), which is specifically manufactured for you.
Common Conditions often treated by Orthotics
- Metatarsalgia (Pain in the ball of the foot)
- Plantar Fascitis ( Pain in heel or sole of foot)
- Hallux Valgus (Bunions)
- High / Low arches
- Patella-femoral Malalignment (Knee cap pain)
- Achilles Tendonitis/ Tendonosis
- Tibial Stress Syndrome (Shin Splints)
- Tired legs / acing feet
- Low back pain
- Osteoarthritis: ankle, knee, hip
- Rhematoid Arthritis